A few years ago, Outbrain wanted to evaluate the benefits of a news chatbot by launching an MVP.
- UX research
- Collaboration with product owner and prototype designer
- Participant recruitment via survey
- Interviews with users of competing chatbots
- Diary study with additional users
- Multiple rounds of unmoderated usability testing
A survey showed who was already using chatbots. A group of survey participants then sat with me and a teammate to demonstrate their chatbot interactions.
A separate group of respondents participated in a diary study, revealing specific headlines and search terms that were preferred during real product usage.
I arranged multiple sets of unmoderated usability tests. Changes were made to the prototype in between each round based on what was learned.
- Research guided the creation and iteration of the experience, developed using Chatfuel
- Research underscored the importance of push notifications and personalization
- When insights were applied to the experience, there was a direct and measurable increase in onboarding
© Mike Mathis / HTML and CSS by Mike Mathis